Thursday, January 20, 2005

An abundance of Prime Numbers

This John Derbyshire post from earlier this week reminds me that I got a John Derbyshire book for Christmas: Prime Obsession.

Before anyone thinks that it's a new piece of thrilling fiction, here's the subtitle:
Bernhard Riemann and the Greatest Unsolved Problem in Mathematics

Soooo..anyone want me to live blog it??

I mean, how can you say no, especially considering this encouraging sentence from the prologue:
I claim at least this much: I don't believe the Riemann Hypothesis can be explained using math more elementary than I have used here, so if you don't understand the Hypothesis after finishing my book, you can be pretty sure you will never understand it.


Can't wait for me to get started, can you?

Now now, don't all clamor at once, I can't take the cacophony...