Friday, May 05, 2006

On-going Goss

I was tired of psychotically updating this post, so I thought I'd start a new one about the Goss resignation. However, there's not much to say. Blogs are writing about the story, but there's not too much to say. With all of Shep Smith's Studio B assertions that he'd find the story, no one knows anything.
Though I think there might be something to John Podhoretz's observations:
doubt there's a big scandal here, if only because the president chose to appear with Goss to announce the resignation. If Goss were somehow implicated in matters relating to Duke Cunningham, say, there's no way on earth Bush would have made such a friendly show of his departure. Seems more likely to me that there was some kind of showdown between Goss and Negroponte and Negroponte said, "Either he goes or I go," and there Goss went.

Either way, it seems that the idea of the "White House shake-up" is becoming less and less accepted. Score another one for Bill Kristol and his initial skepticism.