Monday, May 22, 2006

Purpose, Contentment & Motivation

Tonight I was reading the May 22nd issue of Newsweek (that sounds current, but it came out last week, I got it second hand). There was an article written by a woman with a Master of Science degree...but she wasn't really using it. She was delivering pizzas. And she had chosen this job. Twice. She claims to love it, and I believe her. There's a lot of things I do that I love...but I don't know that I always like that fact that I'm doing some of them as a job instead of a different job. And after reading it I thought, I don't want to be like this when I'm 43. I don't want to be working at a restaurant or baby-sitting or tutoring and also be happy about it.

One of the big reasons that I am willing to give away my hard earned money to the Republican senate candidates, is because I believe Republican majorities are good for the economy and thus good for my job-finding prospects. The President may have sad approval ratings and people may answer polls saying they think the country is going in the wrong direction or whatever...but the reality is that none of this is stopping everyone from spending money. High gas prices aren't stopping people from buying new cars - even SUVs, or driving around town all day or driving across country on vacation. The economy is in great shape, and I sincerely believe Republicans in Congress will help keep it there and keep me hopeful about getting a full-time job that doesn't involve cash tips :)

And, whether you like DeWine or not, we need to look at the big picture :)